Useful Information – The Local Community
Local Councillors: http://www.lambeth.gov.uk/moderngov/mgMemberIndex.aspx?bcr=1
- Clair Holland (Labour) – http://www.lambeth.gov.uk/moderngov/mgUserInfo.aspx?
- Jane Edbrook (Labour) – http://www.lambeth.gov.uk/moderngov/mgUserInfo.aspx?UID=2921
- Jack Hopkins (Labour)- http://www.lambeth.gov.uk/moderngov/mgUserInfo.aspx?UID=2923
Local Member of Parliament
- Kate Hoey – http://www.lambeth.gov.uk/moderngov/mgUserInfo.aspx?UID=589
Lambeth Planning Database for any proposed local developments – http://www.lambeth.gov.uk/planningdatabase
The Local Community
Q Are there any contact points/facilities that I can use to stay in touch with what is happening locally?
A Yes: Try;
There are a variety of classes and activities at the Bonnington Centre. No central website unfortunately, but check the Viva Vauxhall website and there might be some up to date information there.
Twitter Feeds include:
Q Is there a number I can call other than 999?
A Dial 101. In an emergency you should always call 999. However, alternative telephone numbers/contact points for non-emergencies can be found here:
- The Lambeth Burglary Squad number is 02087213329
- The Oval Safer Neighborhood Team, number 02087212761 or email email@example.com. The local contacts are Kate and Julie. You should always call this number if you experience issues in respect of illegal or anti social behaviour affecting The Academy. Both Kate and Julie have stressed that this enables them to compile a log of incidents which in turn will result in increased surveillance by the police in and around The Academy.
- Local Metropolitan Police website is http://www.met.police.uk/borough/lambeth
Q What do I do if I see any fly tipping in the local area?
A Report any rubbish that has been dumped to Lambeth Council. The sooner you report it, the sooner they can remove it. The telephone number is 020 7926 9000, email firstname.lastname@example.org or you can use the online dumped rubbish reporting form: http://eforms.lambeth.gov.uk/Lambeth.EForms.DumpedRubbish/(S(atgf4hniblyz2255nhplhwvw))/Default.aspx
Q What do I do if I see any incidents of anti-social behaviour?
A Report any criminal incidents to the police, as detailed above.
Report any incidents of noise disturbances during normal office hours (Monday to Friday: 9am to 5pm) to 020 7926 6111, or outside of these hours (Sunday to Thursday: 7pm to 3am, Fridays: 8pm to 4am, Saturdays: 8pm to 4am) to the rapid response night service, 020 7926 5999.
You can also use the noise and pollution reporting form:
Local Shopping and amenities
Q Are there any favourite and useful local shops, supermarkets, Delis, cafes etc?
A Obviously yes. Our local neighbours include:
- Sainsbury’s Local, 7-11 South Lambeth Place, next to the rail overground entrance
- Little Waitrose, 3 Bond Way, next to the bus centre.
- The Bonnington Square co-operative/community veggie cafe, 11 Vauxhall Grove – http://www.bonningtoncafe.co.uk/
- Italo – our local specialist deli, 13 Bonnington Square – http://italodeli.co.uk/
- Portugese Delis, South Lambeth Road (including Toni’s, corner of Fentiman Road).
- Rebato’s Spanish tapas bar and restaurant South Lambeth Road (towards Stockwell) – http://www.rebatos.com/index.html
- Fentiman Arms, 13 Fentiman Road – http://www.geronimo-inns.co.uk/thefentimanarms/
- Parco Cafe – Vauxhall Park, junction of Fentiman Road and South Lambeth Road – http://www.viewlondon.co.uk/restaurants/parco-cafe-review-55121.html
- The Tea House Theatre, (a Victorian pub conversion, more tea than theatre),139 Vauxhall Walk – http://www.teahousetheatre.co.uk/
- Brunswick House, 30 Wandsworth Road (curiosities, coffee and cocktails) – http://www.lassco.co.uk/index.php?id=129
- Dirty Burger, Arch 54, 6 South Lambeth Road – http://www.eatdirtyburger.com/#vauxhall
- Nandos, Lambeth Way – http://www.nandos.co.uk/restaurant/vauxhall-arches
- The Gym
- Tesco Express
- Dental Service
- Riverside Heath Centre
Feel free to mail us with links etc of other local amenities that Academy residents might need.
Word of Mouth Recommendations
Q Do we have a list of local tradesmen who have worked in and understand The Academy?
A A list is being compiled, but it requires input from residents. In the meantime, and whilst this is not an endorsement (i.e. buyer beware!) some who have been used and recommended are:
- Les Greenwood. 07971251909
- Alberton Samuele, aka The Italian Plumber. 07950861983
- Tony Napolitano. 07836 701675
- Les Greenwood. 07971251909
- Painting & Decorating
- Mark Carroll. 07906172553. Flat 15 The Academy. £130 per day.
- Oven Cleaning:
- The Oven Cleaning Company. 01428717174 or 01428717176
- Oven Mate. Amazon, £7.00. It’s brilliant
- Oven Repairs:
- Fix Appliances Ltd. 07969307335. http://www.fixappliance.co.uk (Cheapest we have come across, reliable, seem to do a good job.)
- End Of Tenancy Cleaning/Deep Spring Cleaning (no domestic cleaning):
- Luke West. West Cleaning.
- Or try this link to Rated People:
- Fitness etc.
Denise Lalonde is a great Pilates teacher, running a regular Pilates session at the Bonnington Centre on Wednesdays 18.30 – 19.30. Pay as you go, or pay for 6 sessions in advance for a discounted rate. Highly recommended by Clare, flat 28. She also does one-to-one classes if you want/need some special attention. Phone 07840 195008, email email@example.com
parkrun organise free, weekly, 5km timed runs around the world. They are open to everyone, free, and are safe and easy to take part in. They start at 9:00 am, on the dot. The nearest run is Burgess Park – http://www.parkrun.org.uk/burgess/ (less than 2 miles from the Academy) and Wimbledon – http://www.parkrun.org.uk/wimbledon/ (less than 7 miles from the Academy).
Other venues and details are here – http://www.parkrun.org.uk/
- Athletics, Triathlon, etc.
Any runners, budding athletes, triathletes etc., contact Terry (flat 54) for information re. the Senior group who meet to train every Tuesday and Thursday at 6:30 – 7:30 pm at Battersea Park Millenium Stadium . All abilities, levels and 16+ ages. Children’s (ages 8-15) athletics coaching is also available 5:30 – 7:00 pm Tuesday and Thursday and 4:30 – 5:30 pm Wednesday. All Coaches are UK Athletics qualified and the coaching is given free of charge. Entry to the track/changing is £3.90 adults (although much of the adults Winter training is done in Battersea Park rather than the track itself), £2:70 children (U16).
- Children’s Tennis
Coaching, Battersea Park Millennium Stadium, Saturday 11:00-12:00 am (less proficient) and 12:00-1:00 pm (more proficient). Small groups aged 8 years and upwards. £6:50.
Please let us know if you have any other recommendations to add to our Word-of-Mouth list.